Thursday, August 31, 2006

Craigslist epidemic...part 2

A friend of mine tells me she's been searching and posting on Craigslist to find dates and it's been going well. While I'm not looking to date, I'm still curious about what she's seeing. So I log on and start scanning the "women seeking men" links. Most of the post do not have pictures but they're written in a fairly interesting manner so I imagine that I'd reply if I were looking. But lately, I've been seeing posts that are borderline horrifying. The title of one post says she's a...

"Cute Beach Girl 4 Great Guy...".

I open the link and read the post. It goes something along the lines of...

"I'm a cute beach girl seeking a great guy.....for friendship and whatever else. I'm bored in my small boring town; I've gone back to school part time (business student)and I'd love to find someone to make my life a little more interesting. Want to know about me? I'm 5'9 and fit and athletic. I enjoy long walks with my dog; I love the beach,relaxing with a book. I'm a homebody by nature, and I like to play Scrabble and shoot pool whenever I can. I don't smoke,drink socially,and you can rarely find me trolling the bars."

Then I scroll down to see her picture. Where do I begin? First, it's only a headshot taken on a webcam with bad lighting. But an individual with an eye for detail can discern a lot from just this type of shot. Cute? Not by any stretch of the imagination. Why lie about your looks? Fit? Athletic? If you saw the headshot picture, you'd see that her neck has about 4 breadrolls and is wider than an 18 wheeler. She's not fooling anyone. She's closer to 322lb.

I saw another post along the same lines. It's title is...

"Lovely Latina Seeking....."

and it says...

"seeking good conversation, nights out on the town, dinner and a movie, or meet for a couple of drinks after work. I like museums, comedy clubs or exploring the city together. I am a 39 y.o., TBW (Thyck Beautiful Woman) and comfortable with the skin I'm in. I love to dress up or dress down, either way I can dress for the occasion. I am new to the area and I am just looking for now. If you are the right man maybe we can become great friends or more. But for now I am just looking to see who is out there and if we connect. I'm a professional woman who works for a large international law firm in DC and live in Alexandria. I am open minded, down to earth, easy going, sweet, honest, kind and caring, likes to laugh and have a good time. I have a great sense of humor. I prefer brotha's or Hispanic men between the ages of 30 and 50. I have dated interracially for many many years and this is what I prefer. I prefer maturity, a man who has goals and knows what he wants out of life. Someone who knows how to hold down a conversation and someone that can connect with me on many different levels".

TBW (Thyck Beautiful Woman)? Let's discuss this TBW more popularly known as BBW (Big Beautiful Woman). First, the word fat is not a curse word. If you're fat, use FBW (Fat Beautiful Woman). Big, thick, large can be used if you're not obese. Otherwise, you're FAT. Also, if we're strictly looking in terms of physical features, your being fat doesn't make you beautiful. The two are mutually exclusive. Mind you, BBW is a true acronym for many women but it doesn't apply to fat women. Female bodybuilders or female basketball players can use big or thick. Fat is certainly big but big isn't necessarily fat. I've noticed that most of the females who use BBW usually follow it with something along the lines of "...and I'm comfortable in my skin" like the post above says. You never read a post from a truly fit, athletic or slim female that says "I'm slim and I'm fine with that". The reason? Because if you're truly comfortable "in your FAT skin", it doesn't need to be said. You're responding to a question that no one has asked. When was the last time someone asked you "hey, are you comfortable being fat?". When Oprah Winfrey was fat, you knew she was uncomfortable. Aretha Franklin is twice as big as Oprah ever was but Aretha is completely comfortable with her size. Speaking specifically about the "Lovely Latina" post, outside of those already mentioned (TBW, comfortable being fat, etc), she made a number of mistakes. She mentions "liking to dress up for the occasion". Only children mention liking to dress up. She mentions being a professional in a large law firm. Is she a lawyer? Undoubtedly the answer is no. Have you ever heard a lawyer, an administrative assistant or another professional office worker mention "liking to dress up?" She probably works in the lobby checking i.d. badges. Worse yet, she may in fact be the coat checker. Can you be a professional coat checker? What's so difficult about taking someone's coat, putting it on a hanger and giving them a claim tag? Further, she says she would like someone who can "hold down a conversation". Hold down a conversation? I don't even know what you say. Does she think spelling the word 'thick' as 'thyck' will show someone she's able to 'hold down a conversation'?

Come ladies stop lying to yourselves because you're not fooling anyone.

2 comments:

Bloominggirl said...

Like I said...Most of these women need to be presented with a mirror that says "OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE LARGER THAN THEY APPEAR" because I honestly think that they have NO idea just how fat they are.

Bloominggirl said...

By tha way...the name "beach girl" heavily implies HOT BODY!....She must be a car sales man because the idea that she has a hot body could only be fictional.